Friday, April 20, 2012

Earth Day



Upper East Side, in the morning. Park Avenue:



Stars Celebrate Earth Day: How Queen Latifah, Angelina Jolie and Others Save the Planet

Our exclusive One-on-one interviews with Angelina Jolie, Queen Latifah, Courtney Thorne Smith and more

April 18, 2012
Earth DaySource: Getty Images
Queen Latifah has the best natural beauty tip from her grandmother
Queen Latifah is a beauty who knows about respecting the planet. This isn't a new cause.
"I like to wash my face with baking soda right out of the box," she says. "My grandmother told me to do it."
Biodegradable beauty secrets? Yes, Hollywood is jumping on the Earth Day bandwagon and getting eco-chic.

STARS PRACTICE EARTH DAY EVERY SINGLE DAY
Stars like Angelina Jolie tell me that she's teaching her kids to make simple steps when it comes to saving our world.
"We're always recycling and turning off lights," she says. "It's important to ask your kids, 'What can we do today to help the earth because our resources won't be here forever."
Regina Hall who stars in the new movie, "Think Like A Man" says that recycling means a lot to her. "I'm completely interested in saving our planet," she says. "I always recycle. And I buy organic. "I try to limit my showers to five minutes or less," she says.
"That's a simple tip that all of us can start practicing today that will save so much of a precious resource - water."
"And I drive a Prius," says Hall who is combining her acting talents with helping others go green.
"I'm working with a friend. He wrote a book on saving the planet. We're working on a project about making people more conscious about being green.
"I think a lot of people were ignorant about it. Now, collectively people are making it difficult not to be aware."
Hunky Jason Statham who stars in the new film "Safe" says that Hollywood sets are much more conscious about doing their part.
"On sets actors will recycle their scripts," he says. "It's doing our part."
Courtney Thorne Smith says one of her favorite secrets is to make sure to never use those plastic grocery bags that clog up landfills.
"It's one thing to say that you'll use your own canvas bag, but we're human. We forget. What I like to do is unpack my canvas bag then I put the bag on the doorknob of the door we use to leave the house. It's a great way to get that canvas bag back into the car for the next time you need to use it.
"That way you'll never need to use those plastic store bags," she says.
Busy Mom Jenna Elfman says that you don't have to plug in to keep your children entertained.
"I like to insist that we take a family walk with the dog," she says. "It's good for our bodies and good for the environment if we don't depend on fun that requires plugging in. I don't have the TV on at all."
"If you get out there and go outside then you'll be teaching your children that the environment needs help. You'll see where trash needs to picked up. Or a park needs some work. It's being a part of your community," she says.
Shirley MacLaine lives in New Mexico and says that you should live green.
"I love going into my garden and growing vegetables and flowers. It's so much better than what you find at the grocery store - and less bags and packaging."
"There is also so much personal satisfaction from doing it yourself," she says.