Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Brad's Total Film Interview


Brad Pitt: The TF Interview


1. Throwing Curveballs

There’s a moment during David-vs-Goliath biopic Moneyball when Brad Pitt’s beleagured baseball general manager explains to his colleagues why he’s thinking big despite the odds against him. “Adapt or die!” he rally-calls – a sentiment this 48-year-old tabloid fodder appears to have based his career on.

That snake-hipped hottie in 1991’s Thelma And Louise had no intention of going back to Levi’s commercials and Dallas walk-ons, didn’t want to rest on his heartthrob laurels and fade into obscurity.

Pitt knew he needed to change, to thr

2. Canny Choices

3. Famous Face

4. A For Action

7. Lessons Learned

10. The American Dream?

Some critics took issue with the film for being overtly Christian…

"We had a lot of theological debates throughout the project. Terry’s a very interesting man to talk to. I would say he’s more of a spiritualist than a compartmentalised version of Christianity. He has a more universal viewpoint, in my opinion."

You played a stern, forbidding character. Where did that anger come from?

"In the film, the American Dream as we grew up to understand it is not working. The father’s on the tail end of that. There is a lot of anger because of it and he passes that on to his sons inadvertently.

"I do think there are elements of the story that are personal to Terry, elements of the story that are personal to me. But I don’t think it is an exact template of either one of us."

11. Finding Inspiration

You were raised a Christian, right?

"I grew up being told that God’s going to take care of everything. It doesn’t always work out that way and when it doesn’t, you’re then told it’s God’s will. I’ve got my issues, man – you don’t want to get me started!

"But, many people find in religion something to be very inspiring. I’ve personally found it very stifling as an individual – more focusing on what you can’t do than experiencing and discovering."

Working with Malick was just the latest step in a charmed career. You’ve worked with David Fincher, the Coen brothers, Terry Gilliam, Ridley Scott, Quentin Tarantino…

"I’m fortunate to surround myself with people that I trust. You know, Hollywood has this reputation for being cutthroat but I have met the most interesting, intelligent, lovely people."

12. Gun Play

The Tree Of Life shows boys’ fascination with guns, and you played a celebrated cowboy in The Assassination Of Jesse James. Did you play war or cowboys and indians as a child?

"I liked being outside, in the elements. I am not big on guns. I really don’t care much about them. I guess it was a rite of passage for a father to give a gun to his son, and I got my BB gun when I was in kindergarten.
"I got a shotgun when I was in first grade. I shot a .22 by second grade. My father always stressed the respect for the thing that’s in your hands and it was actually good training because I got through guns early and I haven’t really cared about them since."

So what exactly was the appeal of playing Jesse James for you?

"I think it has something to do with being above the law, being able to make your own rules, not being stifled. We live in a society of laws and we have to operate within them, and there is in the back [of our heads] a tendency to strike out."

If Jesse James wasn’t an idol for you growing up, who was?

"When I was little I liked Elton John. And I liked Evil Knievel. I was a huge Evil Knievel fan! And Muhammad Ali. Ali I got to meet a few years ago and it was still an honour for me."

13. Quick On The Draw

For someone who doesn’t like guns, you’ve handled a lot of them in films! For The Assassination Of Jesse James, and Mr. & Mrs. Smith, you worked with gun-legend Phil Reed...

"He’s an extraordinary man. This guy trained us to quick draw and shoot from the hip. He’s one of the legends in that world, a world champion of quick draw – you literally can’t see the movement and he can get off two shots!"

Did he get you to a place where you felt comfortable with guns?
"It’s just another appendage. I was surprised by how doable [shooting from the hip] was. You can do something that connects with the geometry of the brain. You can shoot from the hip and hit things! But I was afraid of shooting myself in the foot…"

14. A Sense Of Security

15. The Work/Life Balance

How do you balance the work with the family?

"I don’t want to go into too much detail but it’s just as you assume… we’re a normal family, a mother and father, and the kids get unruly! The kids are fantastic and say the funniest things I’ve ever heard!

"But the most important thing for us is to make sure we carve out time for them, that we get group time and one-on-one time because it’s our responsibility to show them around and help shape them. So I guess the only thing I can say is that it’s fatherhood first, family first, and then I slip in the work."

You’ve been a nomadic clan over the years. How does that work out?

"It works for us. The family becomes the core. The places they get to see they may not understand at this early age but it’s seeping into their consciousness. We’re in an international schooling program, so wherever you go, it’s the same curriculum.

"The only problem is the assault, the paparazzi. Quite frankly, I have a problem with it. I think there should be laws against it. It’s out of hand and crosses all lines of decency. These kids didn’t ask for this and it’s really discombobulating for them, and a bit frightening. Video cameras right in their faces, yelling their names…

"They don’t know why these people are yelling their names and they have this idea that any time they step outside, there are people following them around with cameras. I mean, it’s a strange view of the world. It bothers me."

16. High Flier

Another string to you bow is being a licensed pilot, so you can actually fly your family around!

"The idea was we could throw the kids in the back of a Suburban and go somewhere – have some freedom. Then there’s a real sense of accomplishment. Flying is an amazing marriage of human ability with nature and machine and any one of those things can go wrong at any moment so there’s a real call for focus and attention up there.

"I’m telling you, it can go wrong seriously fast. But I highly recommend it. Just to be 40 and still able, I guess, to achieve things that are personal to you, a personal goal… It’s rewarding."

You’ve now been in movies for 25 years. How have you changed as an actor?

"Well, we can’t be followed, which is a plus! I enjoy the craft of it more than ever. I am much more experienced now so I have a process and can get to what I find interesting quicker; I can cut out the cacophony of things that sometimes come with a production or a character or a film.

"Acting also now means more to me because my kids are going to see my films. I want to do them proud."

How do you choose your projects?

"Well, to me, first and foremost, it’s a directors’ medium. It’s all about the storytelling, it’s the most important thing to me. I look for directors with a strong point of view, then I feel free – it frees me to go and try anything because I know I’m in proper hands that are not going to abuse [me]. I can try many things until I find that line, that vein, and start following it…"


17. Catching The Fever

There are so many directors we could ask you about, but let’s settle for Tarantino. how was it working for him on Inglourious Basterds?

"He’s hilarious and very serious, very committed to what he’s doing. I was interested to learn he dropped out of school somewhere in high school and I think films became his continuing education. He’s self-educated through films. His knowledge is just extraordinary. He has an incredible memory.

"He is also an example of how with some directors you know you are in the best of hands so you can be as ludicrous as the impulse takes you."

When you were growing up, was there a particular film that inspired you to become an actor?

"Strangely enough, I liked Saturday Night Fever! I loved it. But it wasn’t, you know, the bad suits and the dancing, although I can do the hustle [laughs]. It was the idea of people… Well, I didn’t know people could live like that. This idea of a different culture.

"I’d seen only my corner of the world, which was Oklahoma and Missouri, so it’s the idea that there are complete other ways to attack life out there."

So John Travolta’s flares are responsible for your becoming an actor?

"A week before I was supposed to graduate from college, everyone had applied and were receiving jobs. I hadn’t applied anywhere. I didn’t have a clue, nor did I have any interest at that point of going anywhere.

"Then it occurred to me I’d always thought, “I wish I’d grown up in New York or LA because there’s the opportunity to go into films…” And it just struck me one night that, well, I can just do it.

"So within a week I’d decided I was going to go to LA. I’d work for a couple of weeks, pocket some cash, load up the car, and go to LA! And that’s the way it went."


18. Conquering Hollywood