Thursday, November 24, 2011

From the HE community

I usually avoid glancing at the comments sections given the preponderance of abhorrent posts from ignorant sociopaths, but HE tends to attract a more mature, knowledgeable, and articulate crowd. They can still be tough and catty, but Jeff moderates his site and other posters usually pounce on trolls and they seldom come back. So here is a snapshot of what the regulars think of Angelina.

"I Didn't Die Young"

I think Ms. Jolie is talking about her druggy days in the '90s...right? "Too many dangerous things, too many chances taken, too far." What else could it be?

Posted by Jeffrey Wells on November 23, 2011 at 7:27 PM
comment #1

Carl Kolchak Author Profile Page says ...

Vampiric activities with Billy Bob
Posted by Carl Kolchak Author Profile Page at November 23, 2011 10:10 PM
comment #2

Kakihara Author Profile Page says ...

She sounds like Jodie Foster, for some reason.
Posted by Kakihara Author Profile Page at November 23, 2011 10:48 PM
comment #3

Gaydos says ...

Back in 2002, Jolie came THIS CLOSE to taking the female lead in an Adam Sandler film.
Posted by Gaydos Author Profile Page at November 23, 2011 11:56 PM
comment #4

LexG says ...

She is still awesome beyond belief-- hence the term "Jolie Pass"-- but, man, when I FIRST saw Angelina Jolie, in a movie trailer for PLAYING GOD, my eyes were out of my head like a Tex Avery cartoon. It was like, WHO IS THIS, and WOW is she the hottest woman I've ever seen. Rushed out to see that, and to rent Hackers and Foxfire and became almost literally obsessed... She was so sexy and charismatic it was like the movie screen or TV set was literally scorching from her intensity.
I've since moved on to K-Stew and Megan Fox and now Shailene Woodley, but the first glorious few years of Jolie must've been what it was like watching Brando or Dean in their day... She's still beautiful, but it's the unfortunate effect of someone being SO much in the public eye and written about and photographed so much, you almost start taking them for granted-- I'm on the verge of it with K-Stew, even *I* am starting to think she's overexposed and should stay away for a year or two and reinvent herself in a different light.
But Jolie has that rare type of charisma where women and men both equally are fascinated by her... she's probably the first female movie star of "that" type since the heyday of Classic Hollywood where the actress was the big draw.
Posted by LexG Author Profile Page at November 24, 2011 12:07 AM
comment #5

Sams Author Profile Page says ...

I think one of the reasons people buy her as a spy/assassin is that they believe she'd actually do all the crazy stuff like jumping out of a helicopter or walking into a boatload of armed men. Gina Carano and others may have the actual fight skills but successfully projecting that they're suicidally brave is another thing. You buy that Jolie would totally do what her character does. And of course having that face doesn't hurt.
Posted by Sams Author Profile Page at November 24, 2011 4:27 AM
comment #6

erniesouchak says ...

She was once gorgeous but is now WAY too emaciated.
Posted by erniesouchak Author Profile Page at November 24, 2011 5:45 AM
comment #7

hollywoodtease says ...

Yes Jeff, she has already alluded to her *dangerous* drug use in interviews years ago. To continue what LexG was saying about Jolie, it can be summed up like this: Men want to F*ck her, and women do too.
Posted by hollywoodtease Author Profile Page at November 24, 2011 6:18 AM
comment #8

Rashad Author Profile Page says ...

She could stand to gain some weight, but she's still gorgeous.
People buy her because of her attitude. It's sexy how she appears to not give a fuck and not think, but know she's better than whoever she's up against. It's the swagger most actors lack
Posted by Rashad Author Profile Page at November 24, 2011 6:19 AM
comment #9

Eloi Wrath Author Profile Page says ...

Who's the next Jolie? Amber Heard has the faux-edgy backstory ("OMG she's a lesbian!") and is absurdly hot. I could see her being a decent-sized star in future.
Posted by Eloi Wrath Author Profile Page at November 24, 2011 8:05 AM
comment #10

cyanic Author Profile Page says ...

Who's the next Jolie?
There aren't any. She's the real deal.
Posted by cyanic Author Profile Page at November 24, 2011 8:35 AM
comment #11

fitz-hume says ...

Maybe she's referring to the time when Pitt was actually still with Aniston...
Posted by fitz-hume Author Profile Page at November 24, 2011 9:07 AM
comment #12

Buk94 Author Profile Page says ...

I still like her, and although I think she could stand to gain a few pounds, she still looks great. But that "Jesus Christ she's batshit crazy" feeling I used to have with her is gone now. Good for her, bad for me.
Posted by Buk94 Author Profile Page at November 24, 2011 9:49 AM
comment #13

LexG says ...

Megan Fox was kind of trying to be "the new Jolie" for ten minutes, but even as a Fox fan I'll concede it was a Bargain Basement Version, the put-on "shocking" interviews obviously just shtick, and even though I think Megan's an underrated actress (Passion Play, JB), let's face it, she wasn't a committed crazy person and life-at-the-edge firebrand like Angelina, but kind of a hacky hottie who just wanted to marry the kid from 90210 and collect a paycheck.
I'm big on Amber Heard, but I think it would have happened by now... She's been in like 20 big movies, but strangely they're almost all "dude movies"... I don't know that many women even know who she is. The guys who dig her reeeeally dig her, but quite frankly she seems stuck eternally in that B-list zone with Odette Annable or Teresa Palmer where they're hot and in some stuff, but not household names.
Seems like Olivia Wilde's had the biggest push possible lately, but audiences aren't jumping up and down over her... Seyfried has the big eyes and the star quality, but audiences seem to like her best as a button-down... really, nobody else seems primed to take up that Jolie spot of super-sexual actress that both men and women drool over.
Posted by LexG Author Profile Page at November 24, 2011 10:13 AM
comment #14

LexG says ...

Oh, and forgot... Evan Rachel Wood is probably the closest Jolie type since-- the mix of smart, talented actress who can be really well-spoken and "cool" in interviews, but then bangs Marilyn Manson and is openly bisexual and has this vaguely vampiric vixen/Goth side...
I love her, but again, like Heard, she's been kicking around at a certain level for going on a decade, and I don't know that a lot of construction workers OR film-geeks OR sexually confused emo girls have up shrines to THE ERW in their lair like Ribisi's Tower of Halle in PERFECT STRANGER.
Posted by LexG Author Profile Page at November 24, 2011 10:17 AM
comment #15

LicentiousMaximus Author Profile Page says ...

She's hot. I like her. I want to have sex with her. I don't begrudge her success at all....but she still hasn't made a movie worth a shit. She still hasn't given us a great performance(Girl, Interrupted is melodramatic garbage and Sevigny should have won) and her one-size-fits-all Transylvanian accent doesn't cut it.
Posted by LicentiousMaximus Author Profile Page at November 24, 2011 10:27 AM
comment #16

watchingyoubeytch says ...

she is one of greatest actress of generation.
and i may say her acting is underrated , the same could not be say about her love life, hotness (or lack of it) and un tribe
Posted by watchingyoubeytch Author Profile Page at November 24, 2011 10:37 AM