'Being a dad changed the way I choose movies... I want the kids to be proud of my work'
Says Brad Pitt
BRAD PITT has revealed the secret to his happy family life with partner Angelina Jolie and their SIX children - she's an expert at packing suitcases.
The pair frequently move around the world due to the hectic demands of their movie careers and their kids aged two to nine go with them.
But when it comes to luggage, stunning Angelina - often branded a "supermum" for juggling work, looking after the kids and campaigning so effortlessly - takes a tough approach.
In a wide-ranging interview about their unique family life, Brad, 47, revealed: "We're quite comfortable living out of suitcases, we're quite nomadic.
"We've got it down and the kids have got their backpack. They have to carry their backpack and if they forget it, they forget it - because there's just too much to keep track of.
"Mom's really good at the packing. She's militant, she's really, really talented. I couldn't do it.
"We have a base camp in LA and we're trying to establish a base camp here in France which can be a hub for going to other places in the world.
"But they're quite used to it. We try to travel at night so they sleep because it's really difficult for everyone to be awake and the chaos that ensues.
"We always take them to the location. We try to keep the family intact - we think it's very important." Brad explains that Angelina will "hopscotch" her work schedule with his so one of them will always be at home.
He adds: "The thing I'm most proud of I think is that the biggest part of our kids' education is getting to see the world and getting to experience the world and other cultures."
The Jolie-Pitt brood consists of Maddox, nine, adopted from Cambodia, Pax, seven, adopted from Vietnam, Zahara, six, adopted from Ethiopia and biological children Shiloh, four, and twins Knox and Vivienne, two.
And Brad admits that while his children don't quite understand what he and Angelina, 35, do for work, becoming a dad has been the biggest role he has taken on by far.
He explained: "They know mom and dad tell stories and make movies but they don't really know what it is because they haven't seen it and they're not impressed by it.
"It's just what mom and dad do and it's a bummer when mom's got to go to work, you know, or when dad's got to go to work.
"Becoming a father certainly changed the way I choose films because I'm very aware they are going to see them one day.
"I want them to be proud of their dad in the end, when they grow up and figure out what we actually do for a living."
Earlier this week Brad's latest film, The Tree Of Life, won the Palme d'Or, the most important prize at the Cannes Film Festival.
Directed by The Thin Red Line's Terrence Malick and set in Texas in the 1950s, the movie revolves around the relationship between a father and son. Brad plays a loving but stern dad Mr O'Brien, while Sean Penn is his grown-up son, Jack, who reflects on the people and moments that helped shaped his life.
Acting in a film which centres around a dad's bond with his kids left Brad thinking about his own relationship with his sons and daughters.
He said: "It's so obvious to me that when I come home my kids are aware of everything that's going on.
"They say actions speak louder than words and it's even more true with my kids.
"So it's quite important for me not to put my frustrations on them or bring them to the door. I want to keep them free, not burdened with my junk.
"In the film it's the exact opposite of that. It is a very sad man who feels embittered by his situation, doesn't feel like he's able to get ahead, always feels like he's on the losing end and feels quite oppressed by his surroundings and predicament.
"He doesn't know why it isn't working out for him when it is working out for other people."
Earlier this year it was reported that Brad and Angelina, who met while filming 2005 action-comedy Mr & Mrs Smith, spend £6million a year on nannies, tutors and chartering private jets for their children.
But for Brad, the most important thing in life is now his kids' wellbeing.
He said: "It's changed everything. I'm scared of death, sure, aren't we all?
"Who's not? I mean, I don't want to go just yet but it is a reality we all live with. And it's something I'm more concerned with being a father and I'm more concerned with being safe and that they're safe.
"In fact, it's my only fear - where I used to be more concerned with myself, now I don't give a s***. I just want to make sure everyone's OK."
while, from left, Zahara, Pax, Maddox and Shiloh walk along
Despite being many women's ideal pin-up, Brad didn't concentrate on staying in shape for his latest role.
He said: "I just ate a lot and drank a lot of beer for that Mid-West, kind of corn-fed look."
And making The Tree Of Life gave Brad the chance to work with Penn - one of the actors he admires most in Hollywood.
Brad revealed: "Sean is one of the reasons I started acting. Sean was one of my gods when I was trying to figure out how to do it, what I wanted to do, what kind of films I want to do.
"He's got a ferociousness that I've still yet to attain, he's one of those few greats that is capable of being quite fierce and yet having great love.
"He holds these two contradictory parts in his performances and I find that most interesting."
Since his first major movie role in 1991, as the seductive cowboy hitchhiker in road movie classic Thelma & Louise, Brad has become a staple on our cinema screens.
From box office hits such as Ocean's 11 in 2001 to more thought-provoking films such as The Tree Of Life, Brad believes his roles are getting more daring as he gets older.
He said: "I'm not discounting the comedy and the action films because those mean something to my kids too - we bond over those films.
"I'm not being more cautious. I'm maybe being more adventurous. I want it to mean something - I want it to mean something to the children. I think that before I enjoyed more colourful characters and now I want them to know their dad has a maturity.
"I want to do stories where I can make a difference - not a difference in the world - but stories where you couldn't just plug any actor into the role, where I've got something to add. Otherwise, why do it?"