Monday, January 13, 2025















"There's this kind of study of being human that we do when we create, and we communicate with an audience because our work is not in isolation - it's a connection.

"I think when I was younger, I had different questions about being human and different feelings and now as I've gotten older, I understand some things and now I have different questions.

"It's a matter of life, right? And so maybe that's interesting that this now is a character really contemplating death and really contemplating the toll of certain things in life that I, of course, couldn't have understood in my 20s".

Two of Jolie's children, Maddox and Pax, took on production assistant roles during the filming of Maria and witnessed their mother perform opera for the first time in public.

She says the film allowed them to create new experiences together and for her children to see her approach to playing a difficult role.

"Everyone in my home, we all give each other space to be who we are and we're all different.

"I'm the mom, but I'm also an artist and a person and so my family has been very kind and gives me their understanding. They make fun of me, and they support me and just as you'd hope it would be."

She adds: "When you play somebody who is dealing with so much pain, it's very important to come home to some kindness."