Friday, September 3, 2021

The Guardian interview will be available Saturday

While we wait for the full interview I've lifted the quotes from an advance article that was riddled with the writers' efforts to make a tabloid-clickbait story. The headline had read she 'feared for her children' in quotes and yet she never said those words.  She said, “Yes, for my family. My whole family.”  She made it clear Brad is part of "us", her family, and that they are and "will always be a family."  Her response obviously meant she was concerned for Brad's safety too.  And yet the writers chose to write a totally false and misleading headline.  The article twisted what she said, altered her meaning and put words in her mouth.  The deliberate effort to promote a false negative story while ignoring the positive signs she was giving was too obvious and very few sites picked the article up.  She would have been very upset with it and evidently objected strongly which is why it quickly disappeared from The Guardian site.  

- She said she "had to separate from" -- not "divorce"-- repeating the distinction she had made in a previous Q&A. 

- She has always avoided even using the word "trauma" but the writers picked through tabloid reports to say she "made allegations of domestic abuse against Pitt" and that she "alleged Pitt was 'verbally abusive and physical' with their adopted son Maddox while on their private plane."  Both false and misleading.  She never made such allegations.  The whole family and probably everyone else on the plane was interviewed and asked to recount what occurred.

- “I mean, in some ways it’s been the last decade" may be a reference to her breast and ovarian cancer scares.  She had her mastectomy 2013.

- Her family, "All of us, including their dad" means Brad is with them, they are together.  "We'll always be a family" repeats what she said on her very first interviews in 2017 in Cambodia with Yalda Hakim and George Stephanopoulos.  Again, they've been very consistent from the start.

When pressed about whether or not she feared for the safety of her children, she answered: “Yes, for my family. My whole family.”

“It took a lot for me to be in a position where I felt I had to separate from the father of my children,”

The actor said the divorce and custody battle, in which she alleged Pitt was “verbally abusive and physical” with their adopted son Maddox while on their private plane, had been “horrific”.

“It doesn’t start with the violation [the plane incident]. It’s so much more complicated than that,” she said, adding the lack of ratification of the UNCRC had had a large impact on her battle with Pitt, saying, for example, Maddox had been “denied a voice in court”.

When asked what the past five years had taken out of her, Jolie answered: “I mean, in some ways it’s been the last decade. There’s a lot I can’t say.”

Jolie said she had been traumatised and “broken” by her recent experiences and she wanted her family to move forward, “all of us, including their dad. I want us to heal and be peaceful. We’ll always be a family.”

“How am I? I’m realising that sometimes you can survive things, but not know how to feel and live in the same way. So it’s more about being open. I’m really trying to be open as a human being again,” she added.