Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Oz set



with embargoes lifting tomorrow for JACK THE GIANT SLAYER and OZ THE GREAT AND POWERFUL, spending most of the day writing....



From Collider

30 Things to Know About Sam Raimi’s OZ THE GREAT AND POWERFUL From Our Set Visit; Plus Video Blog Recap

by     Posted: January 31st, 2013 at 9:00 am

The courtyard is bustling with activity.  All around me, I see Munchkins, Tinkers (Oz’s industrious builders and inventors), and many other inhabitants carrying sticks, baskets, and other props as everyone is preparing for war.  They’re all dressed in the most amazing clothes and every hair is perfectly adjusted with some of the men having mustaches and beards that could win awards.  In the center of the courtyard is James Franco.  He’s wearing an old black suit with his hair slicked to one side.  He looks like he just arrived from a circus.  As I stare at where he’s standing, I see that he’s talking to a small 18 inch maquette and having a very serious conversation.  While he’s talking to a white doll that’s being moved around by a man in an all blue suit, eventually this maquette is going to be an all CGI character named China Girl, and she’ll be voiced by Joey King who is standing off to one side.  As they finish their conversation, I hear director Sam Raimi call cut.  The busy activity comes to a halt and I look around with a smile on my face.  After spending so many years watching The Wizard of Oz on TV, I can’t believe I’m visiting the magical land of Oz.  I also can’t believe that as I watched the action unfold, I was literally standing on the yellow brick road.
But let me back up a second.
As I type these words I’m on a plane back to Los Angeles.  It’s Saturday, October 22, 2011 and I’ve spent the last two days visiting Sam Raimi’s Oz The Great and Powerful while the production was filming at the brand new Raleigh Studios in Pontiac, Michigan.  Oz is the first production at the massive new studio and while there I got to participate in group interviews the cast and filmmakers, visit all of the practical sets, and see the props, weapons, and the amazing art department.  While I’ve been able to do many set visits, what is being done to bring Oz to life was truly a sight to behold.

For more, go to Collider








Box Office Forecasts

Oz: The Great and Powerful
PROS:
- Disney is closely following the template the studio used to achieve great box office success with Alice in Wonderland back in March 2010.
- With a PG rating and so little for family audiences in January and February, it should attract family audiences in big numbers.
- With Sam Raimi as director and James Franco and Mila Kunis as leads, the film will also have a good chance of appealing beyond family audiences.
- In recent years March has become a stronger time of year to release event films.
CONS:
- While Alice in Wonderland generated blockbuster business at the box office, it hasn't been remembered all that fondly afterwards. That could brush off on Oz.
- By aiming for a younger and hipper feel, the film could turn off older fans of the Oz novels and 1939 film.



Jack the Giant Slayer
PROS:
- Fantasy films have had some decent success in March over the past few years.
- A somewhat familiar cast including Ewan McGregor could entice audiences.
- The familiar name/tale will also give the film some extra attention.
CONS:
- Not all fantasy films are hits and the film's delays could mean some trouble.
- Opening three months after The Hobbit and one week before Oz: The Great and Powerful, will the film have enough demand to drive it?



Title Release Date Distributor Opening Weekend Cumulative
The Croods Mar 22, 2013 Fox / DreamWorks Animation $40,000,000 $150,000,000
Olympus Has Fallen Mar 22, 2013 FilmDistrict $18,000,000 $48,000,000
Admission Mar 22, 2013 Focus $15,000,000 $50,000,000
The Call Mar 15, 2013 Sony / TriStar $12,000,000 $28,000,000
The Incredible Burt Wonderstone Mar 15, 2013 Warner Bros. / New Line $17,000,000 $52,000,000
Dead Man Down Mar 8, 2013 FilmDistrict $9,000,000 $25,000,000
Oz: The Great and Powerful Mar 8, 2013 Disney $55,000,000 $160,000,000
Jack the Giant Slayer Mar 1, 2013 Warner Bros. / New Line $23,000,000 $60,000,000
Phantom (2013) Mar 1, 2013 RCR Media Group $5,000,000 $13,000,000
The Last Exorcism Part II Mar 1, 2013 CBS Films $11,000,000 $23,000,000
21 And Over Mar 1, 2013 Relativity Media $15,000,000 $45,000,000
Dark Skies Feb 22, 2013 Weinstein / Dimension $10,000,000 $23,000,000
Snitch (2013) Feb 22, 2013 Lionsgate / Summit $13,000,000 $35,000,000
A Good Day to Die Hard Feb 14, 2013 Fox $47,000,000* $125,000,000
Safe Haven Feb 14, 2013 Relativity Media $22,000,000* $57,000,000
Escape From Planet Earth Feb 14, 2013 Weinstein Company $15,000,000* $40,000,000
Beautiful Creatures (2013) Feb 14, 2013 Warner Bros. $21,000,000* $55,000,000
Identity Thief Feb 8, 2013 Universal $19,000,000 $62,000,000
Side Effects (2013) Feb 8, 2013 Open Road $21,000,000 $65,000,000
Warm Bodies Feb 1, 2013 Lionsgate / Summit $18,000,000 $47,000,000
Bullet to the Head Feb 1, 2013 Warner Bros. $7,000,000 $17,000,000