Wednesday, January 11, 2012

DC 6 + Videos



A Chat With Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie at the D.C. Premiere of In the Land of Blood and Honey

 





















Team Jolie





YEAS & NAYS

People, Politics, and Power

Jolie moved by Holocaust Museum's genocide exhibit

Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt at Tuesday's D.C. screening of her film "In the Land of Blood and Honey" (Photo courtesy Kris Connor).
Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt at Tuesday's D.C. screening of her film "In the Land of Blood and Honey" (Photo courtesy Kris Connor).
Angelina Jolie acted perfectly poised talking to reporters Tuesday night before the screening of her feature directorial and screenwriting debut "In the Land of Blood and Honey." But having just come from one of the Holocaust Museum's haunting exhibits, she confessed to Yeas & Nays that it was a little hard to keep it together.

She and partner Brad Pitt has just visited "From Memory to Action," the museum's exhibition on genocide, which includes Srebrenica, the 1995 massacre that is included in her film. "I'm having trouble even speaking about it because I spent half an hour in this room where I did my best not to look at the walls and read everything because it was reminding me so much of everything I learned in the process of this film and all the beautiful people that I met that survived," Jolie said. "It's quite heavy."

The film is indeed heavy. It takes place during the Bosnian War, depicting the changing relationship between lovers Ajla, a Bosnian Muslim painter, and Danijel, who becomes an officer in the Bosnian Serb Army. Along with genocide, there are scenes of rape and severe brutality, including Ajla's infant nephew being thrown out a window and killed.

Besides teaching a Washington audience (which included D.C. Mayor Vincent Gray and Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg) more about the conflict, Jolie also talked about what her kids learned from the making of "In the Land of Blood and Honey."

"They are friends with a lot of the children of the cast so they are friends with friends with people from all over former Yugoslavia," she said. "They know a little bit about their country, they know a little bit about their food, and they know that they are friends."









By Judy Kurtz - 01/11/12 06:49 PM ET 
 
 She may be considered by many to be the essence of elegance and the queen of Hollywood glam, but Angelina Jolie has an admission: She’s really just a “closet geek.”

The Academy Award-winning actress brought her A-list status to Washington on Tuesday, for the D.C. premiere of her film directorial debut, “In the Land of Blood and Honey.”

The big-screen drama follows a romance during the Bosnian War.

Appearing in a long, fitted gray jacket alongside Brad Pitt at the Holocaust Memorial Museum, Jolie, 36, while choosing not to discuss her political leanings, revealed that politics makes for a frequent topic of conversation in her household: “I travel to a lot of places and I come home quite chatty about something I’ve witnessed, or something I’ve experienced, or something I’m angry about. I’ve gone a few times to the [International Criminal Court], to The Hague, to just sit and witness the trials. I’m kind of a closet geek, so I talk about a lot of different things.”

Pitt, the über-chic “geek’s” partner, said the couple gabs about government “all the time” and debates “how to get things done.” Although he hasn’t publicly supported a candidate in the 2012 presidential race, the actor met with President Obama shortly after he took office in 2009.

Jolie and Pitt visited the White House the day after the movie screening and met with President Obama. Deputy White House press secretary Jamie Smith confirmed to The Hill that the president spoke with the actress about “her work to raise the profile of preventing mass atrocities and combating sexual violence against women.”

While at the premiere, a seemingly relaxed Pitt strolled down the line of reporters with the help of a cane. He injured his leg in a recent fall while holding his daughter. The “Moneyball” star, 48, is hoping to ditch the walking stick rather than make it a new fashion accessory, telling ITK he’ll have the cane “Not for long, I hope.”

But sounds as if local fans of the superstar duo shouldn’t hold out hope that the globetrotting celebs, who are parents to six children, will make the District their new home anytime soon.
When we asked Jolie if she’d ever consider making the move to Washington, the entertainer replied, “I don’t know. I don’t know how well I’d fit in!”


Wednesday, January 11, 2012


On the Red Carpet with Angelina Jolie.......a teaser..

by Janet Donovan

It's not often that people in D.C. don't complain about waiting in the cold for a celebrity to arrive for a premiere, but no one seemed to mind waiting for Angelina Jolie.

In town for the premiere of "In the Land of Blood and Honey" at The Holocaust Museum, the media went through three high security checks including the friendly dog sniffers and could have cared less.

Take a look below and you will understand why and come back tomorrow for our one on one.
The Red Carpet Video: Yes, we know there are duplicate photos and we so don't care.