December 21, 2011
Courtesy of FilmDistrict Tom Gjelten and Angelina Jolie at the New York press conference for In The Land of Blood and Honey.
Given his extensive reporting from Sarajevo from 1992 to 1996, Tom was contacted by producers during the making of the film, and provided counsel to Jolie. He also wrote and edited the radio newscasts that air during the movie, along with the opening and closing text.
Tom says, of his involvement: "I was something of a fact-checker. Angelina and her producer wanted the film to be as accurate as possible, and they asked about such minor details as the rate of interethnic marriage in Sarajevo before the war. When I was reporting from Bosnia, I felt the war deserved more attention than it generally got, so it was gratifying to find a Hollywood star who wanted to tell the story again after all these years."
Enlarge Courtesy of FilmDistrict Gjelten moderates a conversation with Jolie and seven of her lead actors.
Listen Friday for an interview with the actress-turned-director, with host Robert Siegel on All Things Considered.