If the name Tom Holland sounds vaguely familiar, he is the young actor Angelina praised lavishly at a screening of The Impossible that she hosted in London three years ago. She reportedly told him during the screening, "“I am a huge fan of yours and I hope I get the chance one day to work alongside you. You are just amazing.” (The lad smartly responded, “the feeling’s mutual”.)"
Sony has found its newest web-slinger.
Tom Holland will star as the Marvel superhero, a character that has been played in recent years by Tobey Maguire in the Sam Raimi-helmed Spider-Man trilogy and Andrew Garfield in a pair of Marc Webb-directed Amazing Spider-Man films.
Jon Watts is set to direct Spider-Man, he earlier directed Cop Car which premiered at Sundance this year.
With Holland in the lead, the franchise is now ready for rebooting for a new series of Sony films, the first of which will arrive in theaters July 28, 2017 -- but not before the character first appears in Marvel Studios' Captain America: Civil War.
The decision comes after stealth test-screening in Atlanta May 30 which saw Tom Holland, who appeared as one of Naomi Watts' sons in the acclaimed tsunami drama The Impossible, and Asa Butterfiled, the child star from Hugo and Ender's Game, test along with Judah Lewis (a relative newbie who will be seen in the Jean Marc-Vallee's fall drama Demolition), Matthew Lintz (who will be seen with Adam Sandler in this summer's Pixels), Charlie Plummer (who had a recurring gig on Boardwalk Empire), and Charlie Rowe (a British actor who appeared on Fox's short-lived Red Band Society).
Those tests - with Marvel head honcho Kevin Feige, former head and now a Spider producer Amy Pascal, and Civil War directors Joe and Anthony Russo present - were the culmination of a worldwide search in which the producers looked at over 1500 boys from around the globe.
Marvel and Sony made it point to recast Peter Parker/aka Spider-Man as a teenager as the new series will be set entirely in high school.
Given that the performance of last year’s Amazing Spider-Man 2 -- just north of was off $700 million worldwide -- was off by Spider-Man standards (Raimi's Spider-Man 3 earned $891 million worldwide), Sony is looking to reinvigorate the franchise. The next step is hiring a director to steer the new project, the crown jewel of the studio, and the contenders include Jonathan Levine, the team of John Francis Daley and Jonathan M. Goldstein, and Cop Car helmer Jon Watts.
Tom Rothman, Sony Pictures Motion Pictures Group chairman, said in a statement: “It’s a big day here at Sony. Kevin, Amy and their teams have done an incredible job. The Marvel process is very thorough, and that’s why their results are so outstanding. I’m confident Spider-Man will be no exception. I’ve worked with a number of up-and-coming directors who have gone on to be superstars and believe that Jon is just such an outstanding talent. For Spidey himself, we saw many terrific young actors, but Tom’s screen tests were special."
A reality competition series based on the movie “Mr. and Mrs. Smith,” in which Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie starred, is in the works.
3 Ball Entertainment and New Regency, which produced the original 2005 flick, are teaming up to develop and produce a reality game-competition version of the feature film.
Fittingly, in the vein of secret assassins, details are highly confidential, but the show will feature married couples that compete in a high-octane, high-stakes game that offers a twist on the TV competition format, producers say.
The box office hit, which brought in nearly $500 million worldwide, revolved around a married couple (Pitt and Jolie) who discovered they are both assassins hired by competing agencies to kill each other.
Todd A. Nelson and Brant Pinvidic will serve as exec producers on the series for 3 Ball Entertainment.