- Directed and shot by Spike Jonze, this was a planned, rehearsed appearance.
- Per Pride&Joy, Ocean sang a similar version at another festival and he apparently modified the 1st line of the lyrics (below) for Brad -- from "I missed you" to "I wish. "
- Ocean's Close To You from his album "blonde" had slightly different lyrics and does not include any portion of Never Can Say Goodbye although it has an intro from Stevie Wonder's cover of the two songs. This was Ocean's rendition of the Stevie Wonder cover.
- The lines "don't have much longer baby" and especially "you know I love you more and more" elicited the most animated and emotional "reaction" from Brad. He smiled and mouthed some words with the former and he swooned with the latter -- leaning over, eyes closed with a passionate expression, nodding and mouthing agreement. Again, he would have rehearsed this ahead of time and he knew and anticipated the lyrics.
- And Ad Astra reportedly starts production in L.A. Aug. 10, 5 days after Maddox's birthday on Aug. 5.
Thanks to Pride&Joy
lyrics of what Ocean sang at another festival, with what was modified for Brad in FYF 2017
Intro: Just like me, they long to be close to you
I wasn’t devastated
But you could’ve
Held my hands through it baby
Let my mind
Run underneath warms jets, jet jets
I run my hands through what’s left
But we’re getting older baby
Don’t have much longer baby
Why am I preaching
To this choir, to this atheist?
But just like mine
Versions of these belong to you
And after while
For keeping me close to you
And that is why
I never can say goodbye, Oh no no I
Never can say goodbye
Even though the pain and heartache seems to
Follow me wherever I go
Try to hide the feelings but they
Always seem to show
You say "Turn around you fool
You know I love you more and more"
Tell me why is it so?
I don't wanna let you go
I never can say goodbye, no no no no no I
Never can say goodbye, ooh yeah yes
I never can say goodbye, no no no
I never can say goodbye, no
No no no no no
Never can, never, never can say, nev-nev-never can say
Never can say goodbye
Frank Ocean gets a little help from Brad Pitt on Saturday of FYF Fest 2017
Maybe Frank Ocean’s last-minute withdrawal from FYF Fest 2015 was for the better. Because here in 2017, Ocean has the stellar album Blonde under his belt back as well as the support of famous fan Brad Pitt—who, looking forlorn and talking on his phone, made a brief cameo as the Saturday night headliner performed “Close to You.”
While Pitt's appearance is just too bizarre to not consume every FYF headline, we shouldn't gloss over just how compelling Ocean's performance was. The stage extension and lo-fi visuals kept the massive performance intimate, while Ocean's strength and vulnerability as a singer complemented his increasingly personal—and superb—songwriting.
I saw the last Tribe show (according to Q-Tip) and a Frank Ocean set directed and shot by Spike Jonze with a Brad Pitt cameo. Crazy shit. pic.twitter.com/mqYv26pyFq— BenDavid Grabinski (@bdgrabinski) July 23, 2017
Posted: January 14, 2017 at 6:13 am EST
Updated: July 21, 2017 at 9:17 am EST
Title: Ad Astra
Category: Feature Film
Shoot Date: August 10, 2017
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Story: The film is about the slightly autistic space engineer Roy McBride. Twenty years after his father left on a one-way mission to Neptune in order to find signs of extra-terrestrial intelligence, McBride travels through the Solar System to find him and understand why his mission failed.