- Angelina has always been very open but here, since they're not out of it yet and were not close to it at the time, as the writer noted she spoke cryptically. The VF interview took place 6 weeks ago before they left for Africa on June 17. "we’re just kind of coming up for air. " They would have made even more progress since then esp. after flying back together from Nice two weeks later on a private plane -- the exact same flight they took last Sept.
- She didn't want to use the word "bad" -- she preferred to say that "things got difficult" -- in the summer of 2016 or the months immediately preceding their plane ride back to L.A. in September. In his GQ interview Brad said, "But even this last year, you know—things I wasn't dealing with. I was boozing too much. It's just become a problem."
- "We care for each other and care about our family and we are both working towards the same goal."
She avoided using the word "love" but it is implicit in how she phrased what she said. It would have been different if she had said we care for each other and love our family. The feelings they have for each other and their family are the same.
The "goal" that she couldn't say outright is obviously to get their normal, happy family life back. The "joy" that Brad was dreaming of.
The writer interpreted her reticence and caution as being unmoved and showing underlying pain and anger -- but it isn't the only or even the worst mischaracterization in her piece.
- "I'm putting my family first, and I'm in charge of my life and my health. "
My family not just my children.
- “We’re all just healing from the events that led to the filing . . . They’re not healing from divorce. They’re healing from some . . . from life, from things in life.”
Again, choosing her words carefully to emphasize that events led to the filing. Which is very different from saying events led to a decision to divorce. There was no decision to divorce as an end goal but a decision and a need for the filing while Child Services had a Child Safety Plan in effect and the children needed time to recover.
We’re all just healing - she, Brad and the children are all healing from the events and its aftermath. When they've healed, there will not be any need for the filling.
They (the children) are not healing from divorce because theirs is not a real divorce situation and the family's temporary time apart was needed by the children themselves.
- As with Brad's GQ interview there is no mention of the children's trauma, no mention of the therapeutic process they needed to undergo.
- "I had to do a therapy meeting last night"
Given the level of trauma the children experienced and it's effect on their relationship with Brad, they likely find therapy and family therapy a useful exercise for managing all issues, probably for the foreseeable future. I had to do a therapy meeting -- sounds like she is overseeing the therapy meeting.
- Her protectiveness over the kids has become all that more fierce
All this - the secrecy, the current divorce narrative - is mainly about protecting the kids by shifting attention away from them. But she is also clearly protecting Brad. She did not give so much as a hint of what exactly he did that made things difficult and hurt everyone. She made no reference to any of the problems he already admitted to having.
- "Jolie has no interest in working on another film at this particular moment"
Not then, but she is now. Which gives us a further hint that they are close to getting out of this.
- Some obvious questions surrounding the DeMille:
She explains the deal with the big empty mansion....the living room, which a set-decorator friend furnished on the fly, with two creamy-white sofas and some big throw pillows. ...” Decorating, house stuff, “that was always Brad’s thing.”
She's not into decorating but she did not retain any of the previous owner's furniture or art -- just the lawn furniture. They're using former set decorations for the time being. Which suggests that Brad is in the process of redecorating the DeMille and they just wanted things temporarily that they could easily return.
"She needed a good place fast, somewhere secluded, with a lot of rooms; "
There are many homes listed in Beverly Hills and Bel Air that fit the bill and would not have been considered overpriced at $24.5M the way the DeMille was. She wanted this particular house as soon as it was listed and acted swiftly to be sure she got it.
“It’s just been the hardest time, and we’re just kind of coming up for air. [This house] is a big jump forward for us, and we’re all trying to do our best to heal our family.”
On June 9, an aerial photo apparently taken in the morning showed a Fun Air slide was set up on the hill -- and the black Suburban that Brad had been using was parked outside the gate.
Knox immediately wants to know when Jolie’s going to put up the waterslide.
They apparently put the slide away some time after June 9.
She said they moved in four days before the interview -- on June 12 -- which is the date the movers were photographed unloading boxes.
They visited the house and used the slide before all their belongings were moved in.
On June 15, the day before the interview, Brad was spotted using the dark silver Toyota Sienna minivan that Angelina had been seen using.
The family used the black Suburban to go to LAX on June 17.
Their security head, Richie, was photographed driving Maddox and Pax to TAO on July 11.
The pooling of resources would indicate that with the move to the DeMille, they again became one household. Which is why the house was a big jump forward for them.
- there’s only one piece of personal artwork up—a black-and-white photograph on the mantelpiece of the six children, smiling and holding their various pets—dogs, reptiles, and rodents.
I imagine more art work, personal and commercial, will soon be coming up. She is not known to have a sizable collection but of course Brad does.
a black-and-white photograph -- taken with the Pentax 645Z Medium Format Digital SLR bought at Samy's last year?
- Her carefully worded statements are consistently inclusive. Designed and intended to subtly include Brad.
Even if there is much she can't discuss yet, she has always been truthful and doesn't want to mislead. So hints abound.
[Our lifestyle] is and will remain one of the wonderful opportunities we are able to give our children.
Our lifestyle...we are able to give. Their continuing lifestyle together.
- She chose to wear a big diamond band on her left ring finger in the photo with a red stripe. Very similar to the bands she wore with, or in lieu of, her wedding ring.
- She’s not the intense control freak—or at least not obviously so.
We have since learned that she definitely did not exercise copy approval over the article.
- Perhaps by the time the Harpers Bazaar spread appears they will be out of it and we can get more complete answers. That interview would have to cover new ground.
Angelina Jolie told @VanityFair she developed Bell's Palsy— JAMA (@JAMA_current) July 27, 2017
Read our Clinical Evidence Synopsis about early treatment https://t.co/DjXYyvEZ3A pic.twitter.com/y0AVbQTEd1
What is Bell's Palsy? Angelina Jolie reveals her diagnosis https://t.co/TJeB7wYlFw— NBC News Health (@NBCNewsHealth) July 26, 2017