Monday, November 17, 2014





vogue.au

Angelina Jolie on why even she has to convince a film studio to hire her


  • 18 th Nov 2014
Angelina Jolie tells Vogue on the red carpet.

It’s hard to believe but yes, even Angelina Jolie has to pitch – and pitch hard – for a job in Hollywood. In her own words, Jolie was “not a proven director” and no number of acting accolades (or an Oscar) was enough to win her the job of directing the film ‘Unbroken’ outright. Jolie persisted and that persistence eventually led to the movie’s world premiere in Sydney last night.

“I had to fight for this job. Fight for it hard,” a radiant Gucci-clad Jolie told Vogue on the red carpet. “I pitched and pitched and pitched and did meeting after meeting after meeting because I had to explain how I was going to pull off this story that people for 50 years have been trying to figure out how to do. I had to explain why, and how to do it for the budget and I had to convince them that I knew how to do a plane crash!”

‘Unbroken’ is based on the book by Laura Hillenbrand, which tells the true story of Louis Zamperini, an American Olympic athlete and WWII solider who was captured in a Japanese prisoner of war camp. The titular role is played by Jack O’Connell with Domhnall Gleeson, Garrett Hedlund, Miyavi, Finn Wittrock and Jai Courtney also starring. O’Connell, Miyavi and producer Matthew Baer walked the red carpet alongside director and producer Jolie. The film was shot exclusively in Australia (remember when the Jolie-Pitt clan called Sydney home?), hence why the cast and Pitt (bonus!) returned for the world premiere.

When pressed on how she felt approaching such an immense and sensitive project, Jolie responded with both humility and self-awareness. “I was terrified. Terrified. But at the same time I had to convince the studio that I could do the job so I had to go in there with confidence,” she said.

And even with all her successes (this film definitely being one of them – we are predicting a slew of award nominations), Jolie still thinks her family is her greatest achievement. “My kids are my close friends. My family is strong and healthy. That’s my job; my job is to make sure I raise my children right and that I take care of them first. And to teach them about the world around us,” Jolie said smiling. She certainly doesn’t need to convince anyone she’s the right woman for that job.

‘Unbroken’ is in cinemas on January 15, 2015.



Unbroken star thanks Angelina Jolie for eye-opening role


THERE are few bigger stars a young actor could hope to work with than Angelina Jolie.
Jack O'Connell is now firmly in the spotlight as the lead of Jolie's latest film Unbroken, which premiered in Sydney last night.
The 24-year-old walked the red carpet alongside Jolie, her husband Brad Pitt and his co-stars at the star-studded event.
"She's fully supportive. Even up until last night throughout all of that madness she just leads by example," O'Connell told APN.
Director Angelina Jolie with the stars of her movie Unbroken, Takamasa Ishihara, left, and Jack O'Connell in Sydney. Supplied by Universal Pictures.
Director Angelina Jolie with the stars of her movie Unbroken, Takamasa Ishihara, left, and Jack O'Connell in Sydney. Supplied by Universal Pictures.
"It's because of her dedicated leadership and under her captaincy I was capable (of playing the role).
"She's so maternally instinctive."
The war movie, which was filmed in Queensland and in Sydney, is already creating Oscar buzz.
It is a career-changing role for O'Connell, who was locked in a cell and hit with a rubber baton as part of his screen testing.
"I was pretty adamant I was going to make sure it went my way, even if I had to take a couple blows," he said.
"It was definitely eye-opening, but I don't deserve any sympathy."
The Skins star went through a dramatic weight loss to portray war veteran Louis Zamperini's 47 days lost at sea and his subsequent interment in a Japanese PoW camp during the Second World War.
Actors Finn Wittrock and Jack O'Connell in Moreton Bay during the filming of Unbroken.
Actors Finn Wittrock and Jack O'Connell in Moreton Bay during the filming of Unbroken. Vince Valitutti
"I have not stopped eating since I've been here," he said.
"The food here is so nice. I didn't get to enjoy it last time."
Unbroken opens in the US on Christmas Day and in Australia on January 15.








No comments:

Post a Comment