Sunday, November 30, 2014









....

Elderly Parliamentarians dozing off a good lunch were startled to glance up to the public gallery and spot actress Angelina Jolie, an old friend of Lady Helic, gazing down benignly.
Now tongues are wagging in Westminster that Miss Jolie is being lined up herself set on a seat in the House of Lords.
The idea is not so far-fetched. Last month Miss Jolie was made an honorary dame by the Queen for her campaign work fighting sexual violence and for services to UK foreign policy.
And last week it emerged that Miss Jolie has decided to retire from acting and focus her energies on her humanitarian work.
Being foreign is no bar to peers joining the House of Lords. Another new peer Baroness Shields - who as Joanna Shields, a dual US/UK citizen, relocated from Silicon Valley to London over a decade ago - was made a peer on October 16.
In fact under a law passed in 2010, the only criterion for new peers is that they must be “resident in UK for tax purposes and accept the requirement to remain so”.
Miss Jolie and her equally famous husband Brad Pitt are on the way to clear that hurdle – the pair are understood to be eyeing up a new permanent home in London’s Marylebone. Miss Jolie herself spoke of how “wonderful” it would be to have a “foothold” in London.
Miss Jolie’s people declined to comment on whether she wanted a seat in the Lords.
But asked last week by ITV News if a career in politics was “a possibility for you”, she replied: “If I felt I could really make a difference, yes. I’ve always gone wherever I felt I was needed.
“When I started working with the UN, I felt I loved working in the field and I felt I was useful in the field and then there was a point where I realised that I was only so useful in the field because someone had to go to Washington and plea the case.”
But the prospect of Miss Jolie, the former Lara Croft star, sitting on the Lords red benches might not be as far-fetched as some of her films.
.....






No comments:

Post a Comment