Brad Pitt Reveals His New Wedding Ring
Everything we know so far about Brad and Angelina's wedding. http://t.co/tg7KCX7XjC
— V.F. HOLLYWOOD (@vfhollywood) August 28, 2014
As we should all know by now, because even if we didn’t see the fleet of a thousand white doves soaring through the air at dawn, we surely heard the million church bells ringing from Cape Cod to Correns, Brad Pitt, an actor and producer, and Angelina Jolie, an actress, writer, director, and producer, have married. After a long, storied romance that began on a movie set, they finally wed this past weekend. Which is a good thing, since they have six kids who, according to Jolie, were eager to see their parents married. We don’t know much about the wedding, sadly, but here is a list of what we do know.
- It took place at Château Miraval, the sprawling castle/vineyard that the family owns in the South of France. It’s fitting that it would take place there, as it’s private and seemingly beloved by the couple, and presumably by their friends and family. Who wouldn’t like visiting a vineyard palace in Provence to hang out with movie stars and their kids who are probably cooler than most adults?
- We know that there were some family and friends there, along with one very lucky judge. See, Pitt and Jolie are legally wed in the American state of California, having received a marriage license from a judge there. That judge was also flown out to France to perform the wedding ceremony. So who the heck is this judge? That, perhaps, is the biggest mystery of this whole affair. Who is this judge, so beloved or trusted or something else by Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt, that not only did they seek him out for their marriage license, they brought him to their castle to wed them? Either this is one special judge, or the couple was just trying to involve as few outsiders as possible. Either way, that judge now has a story for life. Good for that judge.
- The children were involved in the ceremony. According to Us Weekly, Jolie was walked down the aisle by her eldest sons, Maddox, 13, and Pax, 10. Daughters Zahara, nine, and Vivienne, six, threw rose petals all over the place, acting as flower girls. And then daughter Shiloh, eight, and son Knox, six, acted as ring bearers. So it was a family affair. No word yet on what function Doug Pitt served, but you can bet Doug was there, doin’ something. I’m pretty sure Doug Pitt doesn’t miss a wedding if there’s a wedding to go to.
- Pitt has been photographed wearing a wedding ring. He was doing some press for his upcoming W.W. II tank adventure-drama Fury in Dorset, England, today, and there it is in the photos. A band of indeterminate color. He’s also sporting a haircut and clothing style that, in some subtle ways, is a nice throwback to his old 90s look. He may be a married man and father of six now, but he’s still William Bradley Pitt, sexiest man in the solar system. And don’t you forget it.
- This is Pitt’s second marriage and Jolie’s third. He, of course, was married to Jennifer Aniston, an actress of some renown who is now holed up in an attic somewhere like Emily Dickinson. (Or, y’know, is doing just fine, thank you.) Jolie married her fellow hacker Jonny Lee Miller and then later married Billy Bob Thornton, perhaps as some kind of dare. This, though, is the one that will work for both of them. There has been no more perfect union in all of known history, and so it will last.
- We have no idea what the ceremony was like, what vows were said, or what happened at the reception. Or if there even was a reception! Maybe it was a quick thing, a pair of affirmative nods, and that was that. Everyone hiking up their long skirts or rolling up their trouser cuffs and heading back into the vine rows, to pick and pick and pick, the work never done at Miraval, which is just how they like it. Hopefully we’ll learn more about the blessed day, but considering it’s these two relatively private people, I wouldn’t count on it.
BREAKING: Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt were married Saturday in France, says a spokesman for the couple.— The Associated Press (@AP) August 28, 2014
MORE: Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt were wed in private ceremony in Chateau Miraval, France, spokesman says: http://t.co/7ziaCossaW
— The Associated Press (@AP) August 28, 2014
NEW YORK (AP) — The wait is finally over: Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie, Hollywood's reigning royal couple, have tied the knot.
Despite two years of feverish scrutiny, the pair managed to keep one of the world's most anticipated weddings shrouded from the media's glare.
When? Where? Why haven't they yet? Did they already? The celebrity press and "Brangelina" fans alike had been consumed with the matrimonial mystery.
On Thursday, a spokeswoman for the couple confirmed to The Associated Press that they wed Saturday in a private ceremony in Southern France. The representative, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because she was not authorized to be quoted by name, said Jolie and Pitt exchanged vows in a small chapel at the Chateau Miraval in the Provence hamlet of Correns.
Since 2008, Miraval has been the couple's Southern France home, a sprawling estate they bought three years ago.
The union was less a vow of commitment than the official affirmation of one made long ago. Pitt and Jolie have been together nearly a decade and have six children, all of whom participated in the wedding.
The wedding may have been cloaked in secrecy, but Pitt and Jolie are preparing to be a big presence at the movies this fall. Pitt stars in the upcoming World War II drama "Fury," due out Oct. 17. Jolie's second directorial effort, the World War II odyssey "Unbroken," will be released in December.
On Thursday, Pitt was far from any honeymoon hideaway. Instead, he was at the Bovington Tank Museum in Dorset, U.K., promoting "Fury," a brutal tale about a tank of American soldiers rolling through Europe in the final days of World War II.
Both movies could be major players in Hollywood's award season, which last year was dominated by a film produced by Pitt, the best picture-winning historical drama "12 Years a Slave."
At Saturday's ceremony, Jolie walked the aisle with her eldest sons, 13-year-old Maddox and 10-year-old Pax. Daughters Zahara, 9, and Vivienne, 6, threw flower petals. Eight-year-old Shiloh and Knox, 6, served as ring bearers, the couple's spokesman said.
In advance of the nondenominational civil ceremony, Pitt and Jolie obtained a marriage license from a local California judge. The judge also conducted the ceremony in France.
Pitt once said that he didn't want to marry until gay marriage was legal everywhere, but in recent years, the couple had said publicly they intended to. They were engaged in early 2012 after some seven years together.
"It's an exciting prospect, even though for us, we've gone further than that," Pitt told The AP in an interview in November 2012. "But to concretize it in that way, it actually means more to me than I thought it would. It means a lot to our kids."
This is the second marriage for Pitt, who wed Jennifer Aniston in 2000. They divorced in 2005.
Jolie was previously married to British actor Jonny Lee Miller for three years in the late 1990s and to Billy Bob Thornton for three years before divorcing in 2003. Jolie has said she and Pitt fell in love while making the 2005 film "Mr. & Mrs. Smith."
Jolie won the supporting actress Oscar for "Girl, Interrupted" in 1999 and was nominated for the best-actress Oscar for 2008's "Changeling." Pitt shared the Academy Award for best picture for "12 Years a Slave."
Follow AP Film Writer Jake Coyle on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/jake_coyle
Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie are married, the AP reports http://t.co/gXZJCNBdWU
— Hollywood Reporter (@THR) August 28, 2014
The power couple secretly tied the knot in France
Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt are married, the actress' lawyer confirms to The Hollywood Reporter.The couple tied the knot Saturday in Chateau Miraval, France, according to a statement obtained by THR.
Jolie and Pitt wed in a nondenominational civil ceremony in a small chapel in the presence of family and friends, the statement explains. All six of the couple's children took part in the wedding, with Maddox and Pax walking Jolie down the aisle, Zahara and Vivienne throwing petals gathered from the garden and Shiloh and Knox serving as ring bearers.
Prior to the French ceremony, Jolie and Pitt obtained a marriage license from a California judge, who conducted the wedding in Europe.
Jolie and Pitt, who have been together since 2005, made their engagement official in 2012, as Jolie began wearing an engagement ring that Pitt helped design.
Earlier that year Pitt told THR that he and Jolie did hope to get married, for the sake of their children.
“We’d actually like to,” he said of him and Jolie getting married, “and it seems to mean more and more to our kids. We made this declaration some time ago that we weren’t going to do it till everyone can. But I don’t think we’ll be able to hold out. It means so much to my kids, and they ask a lot. And it means something to me, too, to make that kind of commitment.”
But Pitt declined to comment then on whether he'd proposed yet.
“I’m not going to go any further,” he said, “But to be in love with someone and be raising a family with someone and want to make that commitment and not be able to is ludicrous, just ludicrous.”
The two are currently filming their second movie together after 2005's Mr. and Mrs. Smith, in which they play a married couple onscreen. Universal bought worldwide rights to By the Sea, a drama that Jolie wrote and will direct.
Jolie's also directing Universal's Unbroken, set to hit theaters on Christmas Day. Pitt will next be seen in David Ayer's Fury, which Sony is releasing on Oct. 17.
Pitt won an Oscar earlier this year for producing best picture winner 12 Years a Slave, in which he also had a role. Jolie won an Oscar in 2000 for her breakout role in Girl, Interrupted. She also was presented with the Academy's Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award earlier this year.
This is Pitt's second marriage after his five-year marriage to Jennifer Aniston.
Jolie was previously married to Jonny Lee Miller and then Billy Bob Thornton. Each of those marriages lasted three years.
News of Pitt and Jolie's wedding was first reported by The Associated Press.
7:03 a.m. This story has been updated to reflect confirmation of the wedding news from Jolie's lawyer and more about Jolie and Pitt's past marriages.
8:00 a.m. This story has been updated to include additional details about the wedding from the couple's statement and more about the couple's Oscar wins.
Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt Married in France http://t.co/vp054LH0to
— New York Times Arts (@nytimesarts) August 28, 2014
By DAVE ITZKOFF
They are two of America’s celebrated and scrutinized movie stars, known for their enviable physiques, their résumés of hit movies, their creatively named children and the barrage of media attention that follows them. And now, Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt are husband and wife.
To the delight of their fans and to the chagrin of tabloid editors, Mr. Pitt and Ms. Jolie announced on Thursday that they were married on Saturday at a ceremony in France. A spokesman for the couple confirmed the nuptials to The Associated Press.
Everything we know about Brad and Angelina tying the knot http://t.co/lOl3kwRyOH #Brangelina (P. Le Segretain, Getty) pic.twitter.com/SxshiN6TOS
— USA TODAY (@USATODAY) August 28, 2014
Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt wed privately at chateau in France http://t.co/aeo3C1Qrc8
— Washington Post (@washingtonpost) August 28, 2014
Hollywood stars Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt were married on Saturday, Jolie rep confirms. http://t.co/KfTHLp7FsV pic.twitter.com/mRUWFsiS2r
— CNN Breaking News (@cnnbrk) August 28, 2014
All the details of Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie's wedding - http://t.co/SqWXTJe0LC
— Nightline (@Nightline) August 28, 2014
Surprise! Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt are married! http://t.co/Vn0n7CvbHW pic.twitter.com/DQAoEjyHgE
— VANITY FAIR (@VanityFair) August 28, 2014
#Brangelina's wedding was held at Château Miraval in the village of Correns, where the couple first settled in 2008 http://t.co/560gpRhz0M
— People magazine (@peoplemag) August 28, 2014
Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie have officially tied the knot: http://t.co/POCMdndZB1
— Wall Street Journal (@WSJ) August 28, 2014
After a nearly a decade together, Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt were married in France this past Saturday: http://t.co/iR94fj1v0w
— Rolling Stone (@RollingStone) August 28, 2014
It’s true: Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt are married http://t.co/dFmbxSvDju #Brangelina
— Gothamist (@Gothamist) August 28, 2014
Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt are married! http://t.co/MEtRLcPen7
— Gawker (@Gawker) August 28, 2014
This Just In—Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie are now married: http://t.co/lDRH5UuVZN
— Entertainment Weekly (@EW) August 28, 2014